Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Teeth (october 5th)


As I was outside tonight doing some yard work, Natalie came up to me, upset and tearful.  "You threw away my tooth!  The bag wasn't closed all the way and it came out in the trash!"  She had pulled out tooth number 2 for the week earlier in the evening and had put it in a zip lock bag on the counter.  That was the last place I remember seeing it.  Apparently, I tossed it.   Bummer...chalk another one up under Failure Mom. 

I began looking through the trash, which of course was full, all the while telling myself what a horrible mother I was.  Poking through the egg shells and juice boxes, lines from Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout kept running through my head.  I was interrupted by bath time, and the smell coming from Sawyer's diaper, and Natalie's cry of triumph:  "I pulled out another tooth!  You can stop looking!  I saved the day!" Indeed, she was holding in her hand her other top tooth!  Now I really had to keep looking for that other tooth!  I had to find it!  How many kids get to put two teeth under their pillow for the tooth fairy??

I went back at it once the kids were asleep and in bed.  I was listening to the news (which puts the time past 10:00) as I methodically inspected and shook out all of our trash from the last four days.  No tooth.  Big sigh.  Still beating myself up, I began cleaning up the kitchen, tidying and sweeping before I went to bed.  And there it was.  Sitting on the kitchen table on a pile of papers, still zip locked up in it's baggie, was the long lost tooth.  I hadn't thrown it away!!  I'm not a horrible mom!!  Natalie will be so excited!!  I went in and woke her up, telling her that I was putting her tooth under her pillow.  She opened her eyes and dreamily said ok.  She won't remember in the morning. 

Off I go.  I need to round up some cash.  This tooth fairy can sleep happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment